8.19.2006

Not fashionable but definitely frugal

In an effort to be more environmentally friendly and get a little exercise while I'm at it, I went looking for an inexpensive bicycle today. I thought I'd use it for getting around town to avoid using gas for local trips. Because I didn't plan to use it for anything serious I felt that a used bike would be okay. My budget was $30.00.

I started out at 4:45 and visited:

-Local YMCA Thrift Shop - No bikes but saw some cool jewelry.
-Yard sale that I spotted driving down the street - Two bikes for less than $10. Score! Unfortunately they were about 30 years old, dirty, and rusting.
-Big Lots - 2 boys' bikes for $50, nothing else.
-Local sporting goods store - No bikes.
-Kmart - Cheapest adult bike I saw was $70. Boo.
-Walmart - Cheapest adult bike was $70ish. I seriously considered getting one of the boys' bikes for $40 but it was clearly designed for a young boy and I felt it wasn't worth going over budget for all of the strange looks I'd get.
-Local outdoor store - No bikes.
-Local bike store - Closed.

I was home by 6:45.

How disappointing. I'll hit the local bike store that was closed on Monday after work but I'm still trying to think of other places where I could get a refurbished or seriously discounted bike. I may visit more yard sales if I see signs for them but I'm honestly not the best yard sale shopper unless the items are like new.

...

So that's what I did today after posting today's Fashion Alerts. Now I'm going to go work on a few new things that I'd like to introduce here soon. Be on the lookout for Fashionably Frugal merchandise in the (hopefully) near future and thanks for stopping by!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home